Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Contemplative

There are a lot of things in life I tend to forget, last night I was reminded of one of them. We went to Tulsa to grab my laptop AC cord which I had left there, but the most amazing part of this little adventure, the stars. I sat in the passenger seat and watched them twinkle with their beautiful pale light, and it made me long for home. In Grove I could sit on my front porch with the concrete seeping its cold in through my pajama pants and the stars blazing in the sky. I would just sit there for hours staring at them; I could be free of thought in those moments, free of everything, only me, the cold concrete, and those brilliant stars. It has been a long time since I’ve lived in a place where the stars shine as brightly as they do on that front porch. I’ve heard it said that things always seem more glorious in memory, but I honestly believe that the stars shine brighter no where else. There is a small town on the side of a highway where tractors drive down the main street, kids can still walk to school safely, everyone knows who you are and what you are up to, and in that quiet little town is a porch where the stars shine only for me.

No comments: