Monday, April 10, 2006

Revised history of a weekend...

To describe this weekend I’d need a large dictionary with a thesaurus sitting next to it. I do not really know the words for all that happened, I guess in an effort to best place the weekend into words I’ll split it up. Sorry in advance for the bad grammar, spelling errors, horrid sentence structure, and length.

-Journals: I have a love for journals and for my roomie, and this good friends birthday is next weekend so in an effort to get her a present and get it to her before the date past I went on a grand adventure. All alone I ventured into the large city and spread the wings of freedom. I know I’ve said before how much I adore the blaring radio and a drive alone, but this included shopping, pure perfection. My roomie has made a lot of changes in her life recently, one of those changes is 30lbs of weight loss and a loss of 4 pants sizes. In an effort to improve the quality of her life she has also begun to Journal (secretly cheers) and being the poor college student I am, I went out into the world of shopping on a mission. I wanted to get her a Journal that was iconically her and not $30. After a disappointing trip to Target my first store of choice in any situation, I headed to my second favorite store in the world, a massive bookstore. Barnes and Noble of course has a large selection of Journal’s and after scouring the shelves for something perfect I found it. A clothbound hardback sketchbook in which my beloved Christy could place not only her words but also her sketches, images from magazines, photos, and really anything else she wanted. Elated and also holding a new journal for myself, perfectly bound and only $8.00 I left content with my shopping spree and what I had purchased.

-Brett: I know I’ve gushed over him several times, but this weekend he proved himself in ways more telling than ever. Two nights of conversation that went into the wee hours of the morning and even the conversation of last night I realize what an amazing man he really is. I found some amazing stuff that chronicles our relationship from the beginning and it is lovely to think that we can go back and watch it all unfold. Yay to my packrat tendencies and yay to the amazing road we are on. I am so excited to watch where my life is going and what place he has in it.

-Desktop’s, Yearbooks, and Journal’s oh my: I love to go home because I get to dig through boxes and sometimes if not every time I find things I forgot about or that I have not seen in a very long time. This weekend was no exception. On my desktop, Obie, I found many interesting things, including old poetry, school papers, random journal entries that never got put anywhere special, some pretty scary pictures, and even some amazingly interesting conversations I saved with Clarkie. I tend to get into Nostalgic moods and they last until I can no longer handle the overwhelming sense of the past flooding me. I dug out my Senior Yearbook and looked through it; it brought back memories of Scott and my Yearbook class, crazy events like my Band trip to Chicago, the joys and pains of all the clubs I participated in, and all the people we tragically lost that year. After getting through the pages of the hardest year of High School I experienced, I found a issue of my first college’s magazine where I’m on the cover as a bearded Shepard ( I have the blue headgear on ;) ), and then amazingly ran across some random disk in my Garage that contained about a year of my online HS Journal that had been hacked and deleted. I was shocked and amazed to read the lines blurring together on the screen. The girl I was then no longer exists…I was manic and spastic; there were no comments that did not include a whining picture of my unhappiness or my distaste for the life I was leading. While I do not remember being this girl, I am glad to say that I am no longer her. Most of the entries were from my Jr. Year and the summer before my senior year, needless to say I could not really read a lot of the drama. It was still neat to find and to have now tucked safely away on my desktop, password protected, and reminding me that I have a long way to go before I become the person I want to be.

Oh Deer: On the way back to school from home Clarkie and I argued and fought, laughed and joked, and killed a deer. Clarkie was changing the song on his ipod trying to make me listen to some band I do not like when he spots around four deer walking across the highway, I look up at his gasp and break slamming to see one deer headed straight for the front of his truck. I’m not sure what I did, I don’t remember if I screamed or gasped, but I do know I saw the deer fly and by the time we’d stopped had my head buried in my hands not breathing. He thankfully had not stopped until we were far enough away from the dead deer for it to be out of sight, I shakily got out of the truck to assess the damage with him, gripping the door for support I stood on the verge of tears, not sure if I should be relieved we were okay or sad that we had just killed an animal. After I felt like I could walk with my jelly like legs I followed Clarkie to the front of his truck. What we could see from the one headlight left looked like he’d slammed into a light pole going 90. I won’t go into graphic detail, but needless to say, there is no way the poor little animal lived. Growing up in rural Missouri I would hear about people hitting deer all the time, I however, had not experienced it. I know several people who had been killed after slamming into the deer that frequently cross back highways and can’t explain how it makes me feel to know that I could very easily not be typing this right now. The rest of the trip home I was jumpy and rather upset and at one point I almost jumped out of my seat as Clarkie jerked the wheel and gasp over another deer that looked like it had also just been hit. Needless to say while trying to fall asleep at 1:45 when we got home, all I could see was that deer. A few feet and I might not have been alive, Praise God we are okay.

No comments: